Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My First Caricature

Now for something a little different. I'm studying caricature drawing. Well, let's just say studying caricature drawing is on my agenda, because I'm only one chapter into Tom Richmond's "The Mad Art of Caricature!" I wanted to test my totally untrained skill before I drill too deeply into the subject, just so I have a point of comparison. So, this morning, I drew this. It is a caricature of me attempting to draw a caricature of a stick figure who is rapidly growing weary of posing for the drawing. My drawing is bad, because it just is. But it's dripping with story-telling quality because you can almost picture the stick figure getting even more annoyed, perhaps highly agitated, after he takes a gander at that drawing. Hey, you have to start somewhere. And why not start with the masters? Mr. Richmond just won the Reuben award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year, and he does some brilliant work for Mad Magazine. This? This doesn't even deserve to be associated with Tom's work, I admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment