Friday, June 29, 2012

More Stilwell frogs -- Very early froggery

Continuing the digital restoration of the "Stilwell" comics that ran in the Cleveland State University student newspaper, The Cauldron, in 1971 and 1973. This one was published on April 27, 1971, one of the early strips. There was a definite "commuter school" vibe to Cleveland State, and this is sort of a lament about that. CSU was a fairly new university (7 years old) back then, a long-time engineering college (Fenn College) that the state had developed into a full-fledged university to handle the growing demand for higher education, because of those pesky baby boomers -- yes, those same baby boomers who are now bombarding the Social Security system. Most of the students back then were folks who grew up in and around the Cleveland area and couldn't afford to go to a better school. The thick volume being read by the frog on the right -- "Vowels" By Chizzum -- is a reference to an actual Cleveland State University professor. If google serves me accurately, that was William S. Chisholm. I took a class on Transformation Grammar with him. I remember having long lectures about diagramming sentences chalked out on a blackboard and otherwise immersing ourselves in grammar and sentence structure down to almost the microscopic level. Prof. Chisholm was, as I recall, a very laid back but passion person about the subject matter he taught, and he knew his stuff. I imagined that a guy like that could easily punch out 700 pages about vowels. What I got out of the class was a better-than-average sense of sentence structure and the ability to write a grammatical sentence that has five consecutive "thats" in it": "He said that that "that" that that sentenced contained was an error." The second image is a clipping I saved from the April 13, 1971, Cauldron. I saved it because it was the first actual appearance of one of my frog characters in the newspaper, before I started "Stilwell." If I remember correctly, we had a small typefit issue with this event notice, and this was my way of getting my froggy character into the paper. In examining this for the first time in many years, I'm more intrigued now by the clipped portions of personal ads that surround it. They look fake. In fact, it looks like many if not all of them are jokes written by the newspaper staff. Ergo, this is likely from an April Fool's issue, which we did do back in those days. If I'm right about that, then I strongly suspect that this item with the frog in it was also totally bogus, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment