Saturday, August 25, 2012

Stilwell - Lonely knights

Another digitally restored comic from the strip "Stilwell," drawn and published in the Cleveland State University student weekly, The Cauldron, from 1971 through 1973. I didn't invent the phrase "typical Cleveland girl." It came from guy talk overheard on the social scene. I found the women at Cleveland State to be largely guarded and unapproachable; I found myself to be painfully shy around them; together, that was a recipe for social disaster. Suggesting that CSU had a lock on this type of female further illustrates my naivity. At any rate, in my fantasy cartoon world, at least misery loved company. I think the setting here is supposed to be Fat Glenn's, the basement on-campus bar that served 3.2 beer swill and gristleburgers. It got in the paper on Jan. 11, 1972. My notes indicate that this was "based on a real-life dating bar experience," but I have long since repressed whatever that referred to. And while I'm pretty sure there was a CSU chapter of the Society of Creative Anachronism -- people who liked to dress up like medieval folks and have jousts and stuff -- I don't believe we actually had a dude randomly walking around on campus wearing a suit of armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment