Tuesday, July 31, 2012

More Stilwell -- Cafeteria expansion

Another installment in my ego trip down memory lane, digitally restoring the comic strip "Stilwell," which ran in the Cleveland State University student weekly The Cauldron from 1971 through '73. As baby boomers, we of my generation have spent a lifetime burdening ever facet of society, and so in the 1970s, of course, we were wreaking havoc on the state funded universities that had cropped up to deal with our numbers. Stilwell cafeteria, in Stilwell Hall, centrally located on campus, was apparently in need of more space to handle the growing student body. So in the fall of 1971, space just down the hallway was opened as an annex to the cafeteria. What happens in this Nov. 9, 1971, cartoon is a baby boomer inevitability.
The bulletin board you see in the background actually did exist just to the right of the main doorways into the cafeteria, open for use by all. Seeing my depiction of it reminds me that at some point during my freshman or sophomore years, before I first stepped into the offices of The Cauldron and discovered a career path, and definitely before the comic strip was conceived, I created and posted a parody "newspaper" composed of clippings from the Cleveland Press and The Plain Dealer, pasted up crudely on 8 1/2 by 14 paper and photocopied on a photocopier, then tacked up on that bulletin board. I believe I called it The Cleveland Crumm. It poked fun at some of the content in those two papers, as I recall. Yes, Cleveland had not one but two newspapers, back then. I can't explain what I had hoped to accomplish by producing and posting those, but I think they offer a hint of why I came within one letter grade of flunking out of Cleveland State during my first two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment