Monday, July 16, 2012

More Stilwell -- Frog clothes

Continuing the restoration of "Stilwell," the Cleveland State student paper cartoon I drew in 1971, 1972 and 1973... Here are two strips that ran in consecutive weeks in October 1972 in The Cauldron. Reports of exhibitionists on campus inspired the first one. While brainstorming an angle for referencing that, it dawned on me that most of my frog characters in the strip did not wear clothing. That led me to the idea of having the froggie students come to the same realization themselves. The payoff panel, of course, is pure silliness. The following week, I thought of a way to play off of the previous week's comic. Toward the end of its run, "Stilwell" turned more into this sort of self-contained nonsense and away from what I think made it resonate with a lot of people at CSU: its poking fun at real people and situations at the university.

No comments:

Post a Comment