Sunday, September 16, 2012

Stilwell - Typical Cleveland Girls

Continuing the digital restoration of "Stilwell," the comic strip that ran 40 years ago in the Cleveland State University student weekly The Cauldron. Three weeks ago, I posted a cartoon depicting a sad sack male frog being shut down by a standoffish coed frog at a bar scene on campus. Actually, in the strip, there were two variations on the theme of the "typical Cleveland girl" making the meet-market scene but rebuffing guys who approached them. The first one, previously posted, ran Jan. 11, 1972. Three months later, April 11, 1972, the second one ran. In this one, I set the scene at the on-campus basement nightspot called Fat Glenn's, except that I fittingly changed the name of it to "FAT CHANCE." I think the "but don't think that's going to get you anywhere" line came from a female student, actually named Karen, with whom I had a one-time date. Perhaps if I had spent more time getting to know women and less time drawing cartoons, I may have had better luck with my social life. Be that as it may, this was the last time I visited the theme. Below this newly posted comic is a rerun of the previously posted cartoon, for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment